[TriLUG] Cups and OS 10.3

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 4 09:48:19 EST 2005

CUPS is proving to be an on-going nightmare for me.  Yesterday I tar'ed
up my home directory, move it to a new machine, and promptly blew away
my old 10.3 installation (I wanted to rid myself of OS 9 and free up
disk space).  Once the upgraded was finished I untar'ed my home
directory and everything worked - except CUPS.

Now when I go to the URL http://127.0.0.1:631 to configure my printers
I cannot get passed the popup window that asks for username and
password.  To my recollection I used to put in my username (the only
one on my laptop) and my regular password.  This didn't work.  So I
tried 'admin' and 'root' as users with my regular password.  None of
these approaches worked so I enabled the root about and gave it it's
own password.  Now when I put in 'root' and the root password the
password box stills gets kicked back with no explanation what went
wrong.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?  I have verified I can use sudo from
my regular user account as well as verifying that I am able to su to
root from that same account.

Greg