[TriLUG] Open-Source Antivirus Solutions

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jan 4 14:55:33 EST 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 02:02 pm, Brian Henning wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>   What's the general consensus of the list around F/OSS antivirus
> solutions? I have a knee-jerk premonition that F/OSS a/v somehow doesn't
> provide as strong or complete (or up-to-date) protection as a commercial
> package, but I don't have any real reason to maintain that opinion..  Which
> is why I ask. Is there any sense to my reservations?  Will I get as good
> protection on my mission-critical servers from something like ClamAV as I
> would from a package like Norton AV Corporate?
>
> Thanks for the input!
>
> ~Brian

Hi Brian,

I cannot answer your question about the quality of F/OSS a/v being less strong
or complete, but I can tell you what I read in Ed Foster's gripe log.

Seems like the commrecial antivirus people are forever requiring you to
upgrade or buy an entirely new package just to get the latest virus
signatures.

So unless you're willing to spend $50 per year or more, commercial a/v will
not guard you from new virii, from what I understand.

Steve Litt
Founder and acting president: GoLUG
http://www.golug.org