[TriLUG] Broken kmail in Debian sarge?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Jan 5 19:08:49 EST 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 10:52 pm, David Rasch wrote:

> For starters, dselect is evil.  It's a user interface nightmare.

So far, I just search for a package name in the dselect package list, select
to add it, decide whether or not to install the packages it recommends, and
install.

> Aptitude is much better, but both are clunky and hard to understand (in
> my opinion).

Thanks.  I'll take a look.

> If you want to get pissed and frustrated with debian,
> continue using dselect.  On the other hand if you just want to install a
> package, like xpdf, just run "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get
> install xpdf".

Thanks.  dselect is kind of useful to me now just to browse through some of
the packages that are available.

> You can get information that dselect provides, like
> descriptions, by typing "apt-cache show xpdf" and you can also search
> for a package with "apt-cache search <string>".  Finally, you can debug
> what version of a package are available with "apt-cache policy
> xpdf".  Your next best friend is http://packages.debian.org

Again, thanks.  I was pretty good at RPM queries.  Now I get to learn a whole
new package system.  :-)

> I haven't run into this problem, but KDE 3.3 just went into Sarge last
> night and it wouldn't be unheard of for a bug like this to sneak in
> (check http://bugs.debian.org/kmail).  At the same time, I would try
> "apt-get --reinstall kmail" and if you can remove it and reinstall it
> ("apt-get remove kmail" and "apt-get install kmail).  Note: I haven't
> checked the dependencies to see if this will work or not.

Some digging around online turned up kdepim-kio-plugins.  Installing that
solved the problem.  I don't think that I had this package when kmail was
working earlier, so perhaps the package just got split out as part of KDE
3.3.  After installing that package, I am now able to access an IMAP over SLL
again.

---Tom