[TriLUG] Broken kmail in Debian sarge?

erik at underhanded.org erik at underhanded.org
Thu Jan 6 02:50:25 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:48:25PM -0800, crimsun at fungus.sh.nu wrote:
> Dselect is quite fine if you like its interface. Its handling of
> Suggests and Recommends tends to be much more intelligent than apt-get.

I used to use dselect myself just to browse through packages, which was
nice for seeing what was out there.  But the main issue I ended up
having is the way it treats all recommends as *dependencies*.  So it would
install a lot of extra junk that I either had no need for, or worse,
would conflict with existing packages I did need if I wasn't paying
attention.

I've found watching the Depian Weekly News new/noteworthy packages and
random searches with apt-cache to be a tad saner in recent times.

But to each his own of course, aptitude is still nice, I haven't had a
chance to play with it too much myself recently.