[TriLUG] Recommendations for digital recording software

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Mon Jan 10 09:49:02 EST 2005

johnm wrote:
 > Matt Frye wrote:
 >
 >> I am looking for a recommendation for software that will allow me to
 >> record voice for an hour or more at a time.  Informed suggestions?
 >>
 >> MPF
[snip]
 > setting /preferences/quality/sample rate to 8000 kHz, ...

8000 kHz is awfully high... that's 8 MHz.  :)  I'm sure you mean 8 kHz.
  One person mentioned 8 bit audio.  Don't do that unless you use uLaw
companding or something like it.   The Signal to noise ratio advantages
you get from 16 bit vs 8 bit audio are worth the extra space.  The
sample rate you choose depends on what you want to use it for.  If you
just want to be able to understand your own voice, 8 kHz is fine.  It
will sound like a telephone.  If you want for it to sound like you're in
the room, bump it to to 22.05 kHz or so.  Unless you have a high quality
microphone you probably won't be able to record any frequencies higher
that about 11.025 which a 22.05 kHz recording will be fine for.

But anyway, you didn't ask for a lesson on audio formats, you wanted
advice on a recording program.  Again, consider your needs.  If you want
to be in X and have good control of the recording, I'd have to agree
with others and recommend Audacity.  If, however, this recording is
critical, and you won't need to be able to control it during the
recording, then get out of X, and use a simple command line recording
utility like arecord (Part of alsa-utils if you use alsa). Or rec (part
of the sox program) if you still use OSS.  But I'm a command line junkie
and tend to believe the simplest solution is the best.

Good luck,
Joel