[TriLUG] OT: phishing on PayPal

David A. Cafaro dac at trilug.org
Mon Jan 10 15:19:06 EST 2005

There is a simple explanation of how the phishers figured you were
traveling.  Pure dumb luck.

I've received the exact same type of Paypal notice about seeing my
account being accessed from multiple IP's and such.  There are just
hoping that people equate that with using their paypal account from home
and from work (and maybe from school as well).  It just happens to fit
your usage profile even better than their generic target.  They also
don't know for sure you have a paypal account (the one they referred to
in mine was closed several months before by myself), just counting on
the large percentage of email accounts that are associated with paypal
accounts.

-David

--
David A. Cafaro