[TriLUG] OT: phishing on PayPal

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Mon Jan 10 15:25:53 EST 2005

Jason Faulkner wrote:

> They don't know any of it. They send out all those emails at one time
> to millions, hoping to hit on one that rings true (which is so in your
> case).

Not having got any e-mail back from paypal and being somewhat concerned,
I phoned them up.

They said it was just dumb luck, that they phisher doesn't know that I
have a paypal account, and doesn't know that I've been travelling - around
xmas, almost everyone is travelling.

I also confirmed that the amount payed out by paypal on my behalf
was what I expected.

Paypal also says that any mail I get from them will be addressed to
me by name, rather than "Dear PayPal Member" (as happened with me).

Joe

LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov