[TriLUG] mod_header

Steve Hoffman srhoffman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 17:31:21 EST 2005

Anyone got any experience with mod_header in apache?  I'm trying to
unset a Content-Type header and then reset it myself, but it's as if
nothing is happening.

We're running a WML site but the wonderful folks at Nextel decided not
to be standards compliant so the line in the response headers :

causes their compiler to crap out...generating an error on our
handhelds (we've looked up the specs for Tomcat and that is a valid
line).  I've got a "doze" application that's doing a reverse proxy and
basically it drops that Content-Type header and replaces it with:

When that's done all is well with the world...errors stop, application
works...Nextel Engineers are baffled and in denial.  I want to do it
from apache though since I certainly don't want to add a production
windows box to the mix..took me a year to phase them out, especially
just to filter a single header line...

Any better suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Here's my httpd info below:

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName wap.domain.com
ProxyRequests off
ProxyPass / http://www.domain.com/wap/
ProxyPassReverse / http://www.domain.com/wap/
Header unset Content-Type
Header set Content-Type text/vnd.wap.wml
</VirtualHost>

I can add headers all day long, but I can't overwrite that one.  I've
tried single and double quotes around text/vnd.wap.wml and googled the
whole internet...unfortunately everything I've ready says I'm doing it
right...but it still doesn't work.

Thanks,

Steve