[TriLUG] mod_header

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon Jan 10 22:32:22 EST 2005

Steve Hoffman wrote:

>Anyone got any experience with mod_header in apache?  I'm trying to
>unset a Content-Type header and then reset it myself, but it's as if
>nothing is happening.
>
>Any better suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?
>I can add headers all day long, but I can't overwrite that one.  I've
>tried single and double quotes around text/vnd.wap.wml and googled the
>whole internet...unfortunately everything I've ready says I'm doing it
>right...but it still doesn't work.

It seems that you're probably having trouble w/ the charset, not the
actual "content" of the Content-Type header.  Apache actually treats
these differently, if I understand things correctly.  This is sort of
supported by the existence of this module for Apache 2.0:
http://webauthv3.stanford.edu/manual/mod/mod_charset_lite.html
but more specifically I seem to remember a flag in Apache which can turn
off the sending of the character set by default.  *rummages through
several servers*  Ah Ha!  There is a directive that you can enable to
send the default character set for any document, "AddDefaultcharset
on".  This is settable at most any config-file level.  More details can
be found here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#adddefaultcharset
Setting this to Off should prevent Apache from forcibly adding that,
against your will.  I had to chase this information down once when
migrating a site from one server to another, where the settings were
different.  The charset being incorrectly interpreted had allowed a
particular user to become quite sloppy, but it didn't show up until the
charset wasn't being set precisely correct.

Good luck and let us know if it helps!
Aaron S. Joyner