[TriLUG] Samba and Symlinks

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Mon Jan 10 23:12:31 EST 2005

<binky> Heyyyyyyy Kids! </binky>

  Running an FC2 machine in a predominantly Windows network environment,
using Samba to share some things.  No big deal.  The problem seems to arise
with the matter of symbolic links.  When I'm mapping a samba share from a
Windows client, symlinks work perfectly.  But when I mount the share from
another Linux client, symlinks appear as regular files and do not function
as they should.  What gives?  I really could benefit from proper symlink
behavior when I'm mounting from linux computers as well as Windows machines.

Anyone else run into this?  Is there some parameter I should be handing to
the smb client?  Since they work normally from a Windows machine, it makes
me think it's not a config problem on the server.

Anyhow, thought I'd throw that one out there.

Cheers!

~Brian