[TriLUG] Recommendations for digital recording software

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 11 11:15:11 EST 2005

If all you're going to use the mic is spoken word, then the SM48 is also
a good option.  My church used several of those, and they seem to do a
good job.  Remember that these dynamic microphones will sound best
within about 2 ft of the speaker.  That might not be consistent with
your comfortable environment.  It will work from farther away, but sound
thinner and you'll get more background noise.  And don't forget that
you'll need a pre-amp to get it into a computer.  I don't know much
about them, but Shure apparently offers a PG48 which looks like an SM48
on the cheap.  I don't know how much I'd trust it though.

Joel