[TriLUG] null modem cable?

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue Jan 11 13:53:34 EST 2005

On 01/11/2005 12:00 PM EST,
> You may be able to get away with a regular 25-9-pin IBM-style serial
> cable if you use port-a, but I always had better luck fashioning my
> own. I know at hamfests and other trade meets Sun cables that break
> out port-a and port-b to standard db25 (and db9) connectors are
> around.  In fact Stay Online might have them as new.

I forgot to mention that you'll also need to watch the cable genders,
as the Sun has a female connector (more truer standard -- at least to
those of us who grew up around terminals and serial devices in the '70s
and early '80s), and your laptop likely has a male connector.  You'll
need a 25-pin female - to - 9-pin male cable.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA