[TriLUG] Installfest soon?

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Tue Jan 11 14:42:36 EST 2005

bear in mind, the stated "mission" of the installfests is to help
newbies get linux on their systems.  that means red hat, mandrake, and
suse are the distros of choice, rather than gentoo and slackware.
debian is nice, but since it is typically installed via a remote
network server it can be unsuitable for an installfest where time and
bandwidth tend to be limited.

that being said, distros are becoming easier and easier to install,
requiring less hand-holding than ever before.  logic suggests that we
should rethink the installfest "mission" to focus more on the needs of
the many, rather than the needs of the few.

stay tuned, we'll make an announcement about the next installfest
shortly.

jason