[TriLUG] Dumb Debian Question

johnm john280z at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 18:35:57 EST 2005

Brian Henning wrote:

> Hi Y'all,
>  After 5 hours of downloading packages (perhaps I chose unwisely...),
> I finally got to reboot my Debian Sarge install....and I can't figure
> out how to get X to start.  I feel really dumb, too, because I've done
> this before and got the graphical login and everything working as I
> expected it...  but I can't remember what, if any, special hoops I had
> to jump through.  There aren't any X respawning too fast-type error
> messages that I see... just no X.  Hints?  Allegations?  Things left
> unsaid?  erhh..  Anyway, thanks as always for the tips.
>
> Cheers,
> ~Brian
>
> ----------------
> Brian A. Henning
> Strutmasters.com
> 866.597.2397

Brian,
   I've had two Debian installs where X did not come up (or run at all
with startx). I used a dsl linux (live CD) to boot and copy its
XF86Config-4 file to the Debian HD. (/etc/X11 I think?).  The problem
was XF86Config-4 is broken in the monitor section, the ketboard and
mouse were OK, as was the different resolutions on the video card but
the monitor section was bad.

john mitchell