[TriLUG] Roadrunner Port Blocking issues / tech support hilarity

johnm john280z at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 07:16:36 EST 2005

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

>Up here in Comcast territory, you have to register your router's (or
>computer NIC's) MAC address with the company before you will be allowed
>through the network.  (I think you get an IP address from the DHCP server,
>but your packets are blocked from going anywhere.)
>
>So if/when you get a new router, or change its MAC address, you have to
>call them up and let them know.  I guess this is done to discourage
>nefariousness, but it still seems like a lot of hassle for them, and a lot
>of call center expenses.
>
>So just remember - it can get a lot worse than TWC!
>
>Jeremy Portzer
>New Carrollton (PG County), Maryland

   Yeah, sounds like the bean counters are in charge up there. Typical
thought process of "we will make sure that no one is STEALING from us"
so they spend $$$ to prevent some user from running two PCs for the one
price (then wonder why Call Center costs are so high). Or maybe the call
center manager is Empire building and has upper management confused.
   Broadband ( http://www.broadbandreports.com/gbu ) shows two Comcasts,
roadrunner is between the two (I notice Earthlink is rated better!).

john mitchell