[TriLUG] SATA controllers and drives

paul ppeeler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:09:58 EST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:14:41 -0500, Jason Faulkner <jasonlf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now, for an opposite view...
>
> I've been using my Silicon Image SI3112 chipset addon card with an 80
> gig SATA drive for about a good year now -- never had a drop of
> trouble.
>
> Jay

I have a small cluster of rhel3-es web servers, all of which have the
3ware 8006 cards in them with mirrored 250gb drives. it just so
happened that it was a better deal to go with bigger drives at the
time of purchase (cost-wise). not to mention, the site expands so
quickly...it's insane i tell ya.

anyway, no issues thus far with performance or the drivers for that card.

FYI: for larger storage see below.

we also have 10 EonStor external raid arrays from Infrotrend with no
issues, though the raid is internal and connected to the machine via
LSI scsi cards. Internally the arrays are made up of 16 400gb sata
drives, but since the raid is internal, the servers (also rhel3-es)
only see an attached scsi disk. if you need an abundance of storage,
those are good selections. we have only had problems with one of the
chassis, so we are pretty pleased at the moment with these and plan to
purchase more.