[TriLUG] Shrinking Windows to Install Linux

Jim Wright JWright at NetCentrics.com
Thu Jan 13 13:49:49 EST 2005

The mandrake 9 install automagically detected my XP NTFS partition and
asked if I wanted to resize.  I assume 10 would still have that ability.
Note that you may need to run a good defrag on the windows disks to get
all of their data to the beginning of the disk before repartitioning.

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Tarus Balog
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 1:30 PM
To: Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list
Subject: [TriLUG] Shrinking Windows to Install Linux

Gang:

I am off to sunny, warm Alaska to teach a course, and all of the
systems in the training room are running Windows (2000 I think). I need

to be able to install Mandrake 10 on those servers.

Is there a utility out there to repartition a Windows drive to allow
for enough space for a Linux partition? FOSS solutions preferred.

-T

P.S. The systems have lots of free disk space.

___
Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer			Main:		+1 919
545 2553
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.					Fax:
+1 503-961-7746
Email: tarus at opennms.org				URL:
http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C