[TriLUG] Digital Cameras

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 13 15:03:03 EST 2005

I can't comment much on the printers as I haven't looked at the market
for them in a while.  But for cameras, I can make some good
recommendations.  First, I recommend doing your own research and come to
a decision yourself.  My favorite website for camera research is
http://www.dpreview.com/  They have very detailed reviews of lots of
cameras.  Given that, and after doing a lot of my own research, I've
become fairly brand loyal to Canon cameras.  I have an S45 which they
don't make anymore, but it has been replaced by the S60 and S70.  I
chose it for being an excellent combination of compactness and
outstanding features.  From the Canon lineup, it boils down to 4
worthwhile categories.

The A60 to A95 are extremely popular, well-rounded cameras with an
impressive set of features for the price.  They are a good initial
recommendation.  I'd stay away from the other A series.

The S410 and S500 are the best when it comes to compactness.  These
cameras are the size of a deck of cards.  And for their size they take
excellent pictures.  Aaron Joyner can comment on them, since he's got an
S400.

The S60 and S70 are more high end cameras but still retain some
compactness.  They still function as point and shoot cameras, but they
allow more customization of features.  If you want to experiment with
photography more but don't want a camera so large you won't bring it,
these are a good choice.  I love my S45.  It takes excellent pictures.
I only wish it had the capability for a larger aperture.

Finally there's the larger high end cameras.  These are for if you're
much more serious about photography.  The G6 is a very popular camera,
identical in operation to the S70, but with a larger lens, flip out
display, and a flash mount, among other things.  Of course you can go
higher and look at digital SLR's, but for someone just asking for a
"good" camera, I'd stick with one of the first three categories.  For
someone just getting into digital photography, My initial
recommendations would be an A85, or an S410 if you want something even
more compact.

Like I said though, I'm brand loyal.  I like how Canon does things with
cameras.  You can also consider Nikon, Sony, or Olympus, though I think
they've recently had some trouble keeping up.  Maybe even Fuji, but I'm
not a big fan of their technology.  I recommend staying away from most
everything else.  Almost everyone I know has purchased a Canon and loves it.

Hope this helps,
Joel