[TriLUG] installing m0n0wall

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Fri Jan 14 00:05:13 EST 2005

Jason Tower wrote:
> On Thursday 13 January 2005 23:45, Jason Tower wrote:
>
>>we found the reason the our m0n0wall installation wasn't working on
>>our test box tonight.  the downloaded disk image is actually gzipped,
>>unfortunately though the filename doesn't reflect that.  therefore
>>what we tried didn't result in a bootable CF card:
>>
>>dd if=generic-pc-xxx.img | dd of=/dev/hdX
>

> oops, that should read 'dd if=generic-pc-xxx.img of=/dev/hdX'

Check out http://m0n0.ch/wall/quickstart/setup-installing.html.  It
mentions:
	gunzip -c net45xx-xxx.img | dd of=/dev/hdX bs=16k

	where X = the IDE device name of your CF card or IDE disk (check
	with hdparm -i /dev/hdX) - some adapters, particularly USB, may
	show up under SCSI emulation as /dev/sdX.

	Ignore the warning about trailing garbage - it's because of the
	digital signature.

Basicly, you're supposed to gunzip it.  They don't use a .gz on the
filename because of the signature makes it an invalid gzip file.  I used
the generic-pc image and had no problems (except I had a bad flash the
first try).

Mike