[TriLUG] DSL & cable modem

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Jan 15 16:27:20 EST 2005

On 01/14/2005 20:09 EST, cate serino wrote:
> Thanks for a great triLUG meeting.  I have recently moved to the area
> and I am interested in getting my Linux server up and running again.
> I am looking for the cheapest network conncection (DSL or cable modem)
> in the Raleigh\Durham\Cary\Apex area.  I probally will be looking to
> have my own IP.  Any suggestions?

I think you'll find that it depends exactly where in the area you live.
In the NW-Wake CO. area near the city limits, both work well.  I have
heard though that Time Warner has cable trouble in some areas, and DSL
has trouble in others.  And note that no two DSL vendors are the same,
because not everyone's equipment is installed in each CO cabinet.  So
you'll find that you need to poll your immediate neighbors on their
experiences.

I am using BellSouth's FastAccess DSL Xtreme (3.0Mps down, 384Kps up),
and am extremely happy with it.  What I found best for me was the price
-- almost half of Time Warner's Roadrunner.  And contrary to my neighbors
on Roadrunner, I do not have network outages, server problems (as in DNS
servers down), or speed problems.  I have 8 or 9 active computers on it at
a time (16 hooked up), and I get throughput on each one comparable to my
old workstation at my previous employer that had 200 desktops connecting
through a T1.  Compared to my neighbors, my throughput is the same or
better level than Roadrunner, but mine is *always* the same.  FYI: static
IP is included.

Here are links from my latest bill:
http://www.bellsouth.com/consumer/dsllite/index2.html
https://www.fastaccess.com/content/consumer/index.jsp
https://www.fastaccess.com/content/consumer/product_comparison.jsp

I think you'll find that cable vs. DSL is a "love it or hate it" issue.
My neighbors swear by their cable connection, but with all of the problems
they relay to me almost weekly, I am so glad I stuck with DSL.  And I used
to have horrible problems with their cable service when we lived down the
street, so at this house I have been a satellite customer -- no cable
tethers for me!!

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA