[TriLUG] Creating an alias IP on knoppix

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Jan 17 14:31:09 EST 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 10:44 am, paul wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:23:59 -0500, Ian Kilgore <ian at trilug.org> wrote:
> >
> > Steve Litt wrote:
> > | Hi all,
> > |
> > | Having spent most of my life on redhat-centric OS's, I have no idea
> >
> > how to
> >
> > | create an IP-alias on a Knoppix box. All I want is a second IP address
> > | pointing to the NIC card.
> > |
> > | Thanks
> > |
> > | STeveT
> >
> > ifconfig <iface> add <address>
>
> this in the /etc/network/interfaces somewhere under your other ethx
> stuff. not all that different really.
>
> auto eth0:0
> iface eth0:0 inet static
>         address 10.28.32.98
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 10.28.32.0
>         broadcast 10.28.32.255

Thanks Paul,

I confirm that your syntax works perfectly. Thanks.

Now I have some other questions:

How do I restart the network (that means all interfaces). In RH or Mandrake
I'd do this:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

There's no such thing in Knoppix. How would I do it? In general, how does one
restart a service in Knoppix?

Secondly, how would one configure eth0:0 to be a whole range? In
Redhat/Mandrake, the old way was to put this in ifcfg-eth0:0:

IPADDR=192.168.100.100-110

The new way is to put the following in ifcfg-eth0-range0:

IPADDR_START=192.168.100.200
IPADDR_END=192.168.100.219
CLONENUM_START=0

Thanks