[TriLUG] OT: Dell laptop model PP06-L

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jan 17 14:42:58 EST 2005

I can't speak for quite such "classic" hardware, but on newer Dell
Laptops, I've found the internal fasteners to be standard sorts..  Just
be sure you have jeweler's-sized phillips-head screwdrivers (#0 and #1
are a good bet) and a good set of precision Torx drivers (I don't
remember encountering any Torx in the last Dell I cracked, but that was
a long time ago, so my memory might be faulty).

<plug> Stanley makes a good set of precision flat-head and phillips
drivers, with nice thick rubberized shafts which are easy to grasp both
in "tweak style" and in "fist style" for those really stubborn screws.
Plus they come in a snazzy sliding-top case. </plug>

At any rate, replacing a motherboard may mean diving through several
layers of hardware, but as long as you keep your workspace organized, it
shouldn't be an overly daunting task for the evening tinkerer.

Cheers,
~Brian