[TriLUG] random re-boots

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Jan 18 07:11:54 EST 2005

Jeff Patterson wrote:

>Greetings Fellow Tri-luggers!
>I seem to be having a small problem of trouble shooting my desktop.
>For some reason, it reboots at random during the middle of the day.
>I've checked my logs and the most helpful thing I can find is:
>
>Jan 17 09:01:00 silk CROND[1839]: (root) CMD (nice -n 19 run-parts
>/etc/cron.hourly)
>Jan 17 09:24:42 silk shutdown: shutting down for system reboot
>
>I can't seem to find anything that would cause this.  I don't see any
>failed login attempts and this machine is behind the firewall.  I know
>the MB is a bit flakey, but I'm trying to isolate the issue before I
>go out and by another MB.  BTW- I'm running MDK 9.x.  The box is a bit
>old, but until recently, I haven't had any problems at all.  Thanks in
>advance for any help I can get!
>
>regards,
>jeff

If this problem were hardware related - for example a motherboard
causing the system to lock up or reboot, you certainly wouldn't get an
messages about shutdown being written by syslog.  If I had to take my
guess, you've got some service / running program that's taking a nose
dive, and voluntary rebooting the system - something with root
privileges, which should help narrow it done some.  You might be best
served by leaving it alone for a few hours, waiting for it to reboot,
turning off a service or two, waiting for it to reboot, etc. until the
reboots go away.  You can then inspect more closely the last few
services that you disabled, to see what may be wrong with them.

Best of luck in chasing the weird issue!
Aaron S. Joyner