[TriLUG] choosing browser from Thunderbird

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 11:33:10 EST 2005

If you want new links to load into new tabs in Firefox, you can use a
python script a friend of mine wrote: http://jayloden.com/firepy.htm.

I run both SuSE 9.1 and XP on my machine at home, but use webmail as
my primary email tool. However, I do use Thunderbird as my email
client when I want to work locally. It's always followed the default
browser settings for me, but it may be a feature of Mandrake and SuSE.

I run XP because Civ3 doesn't run under Linux :(

WMM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:25:20 -0500, Joseph Tate <dragonstrider at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:53:52 -0500, Dan Monjar <dan at daijin.dissimulo.com> wrote:
> > Mandrake 10.1 / KDE 3.2 / Thunderbird 1.0
> >
> > How do I specify which browser to use for clicked on links in a mail
> > message?
>
> Well, what I have is the following:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> MOZILLA_HOME=/usr/local/firefox
>
> url="$1"
> if [ "x$url" = "x" ]; then
>   url="about:blank"
> fi
>
> if $MOZILLA_HOME/mozilla-xremote-client openURL\("$url",new-tab\); then
>   exit 0
> fi
> exec $MOZILLA_HOME/firefox "$url"
>
> is a script that lives in /usr/local/thunderbird as browser.sh
>
> Then in my user's prefs.js, I have the following:
>
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/usr/local/thunderbird/browser.sh
> ");
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/usr/local/thunderbird/browser.s
> h");
> user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/usr/local/thunderbird/browser.
> sh");
>
> This will open links in a new tab in firefox.  Of course you may
> change the openURL line to change that behavior.  I leave that as an
> exercise for the reader.
>
> --
> Joseph Tate
> Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
> Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com

"Don't let the elephants see what the rabbits are doing." --Ben R Rich