[TriLUG] Two unrelated questions: ALSA and fortune

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 18 11:45:55 EST 2005

Ian Kilgore wrote:

> Brian Henning wrote:
> | Actually, I discovered for my particular case it turned out to be as
> | simple as setting my mixer settings, then executing
> | % alsactl store
> |
> bah, you beat me to it =].  That actually just saves it somewhere, then
> you have to run alsactl restore at boot, but theres an inistscript for
> that.. actually ususally that same initscript will save at shutdown, but
> I guess not :/

Most of the time it's up to you to store the setting.  I haven't seen
any distributions that automatically save the alsa settings on shutdown,
but I don't use many different distributions, so some may exist.
Usually, you would run alsaconf after setting up the machine to set up
your conf.modules/modules.conf/modprobe.conf/modprobe.d or whatever the
module file du jour is for your sound card.  alsaconf also sets some
reasonable defaults for mixer settings and stores the result in
/etc/asound.state.  Or in some cases, /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.  Most
distributions have a startup script that check to see if asound.state
exists, and if it does, restore those settings.

Joel