[TriLUG] Two unrelated questions: ALSA and fortune

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 18 14:07:15 EST 2005

crimsun at fungus.sh.nu wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:45:55AM -0500, Joel Ebel wrote:
>
>>Most of the time it's up to you to store the setting.  I haven't seen
>>any distributions that automatically save the alsa settings on shutdown,
>

> This is the exact opposite of my experience. In Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat,
> Fedora Core, Slackware, Mandrake, and Gentoo, the settings are saved on
> shutdown and restored on (re)boot.

I just logged into a few boxes I have access to, and I stand corrected
on Debian and Fedora.  Neither are my distribution of choice.  They do
store mixer settings on shutdown.  Ugh.

/me hurries to comment out that part of the script he's using in a
production audio environment because he thinks it's a terrible idea.

However, I will not concede that Slackware stores mixer settings on
shutdown.  It may be possible that the graphical environment you use
does this for you, but the Slackware shutdown scripts have no mention of
alsactl.  And that's the way I like it.  I know where I want my mixer
settings, and I like asound.state to hold that.  A reboot should put the
system into a known state, including where the mixer settings should be.
  If they got messed up in a session, I don't want that to be saved
after a reboot.

Joel