[TriLUG] Road Runner broadband developments

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Wed Jan 19 18:10:13 EST 2005

Hello all --

This may be old news to some, but it certainly came as a surprise to
me.  Just stumbled upon this link while browsing for broadband
connectivity.

   http://content.rr.com/rdrun/increase.htm

---
  TIME WARNER CABLE BROADBAND CUSTOMERS RECEIVE ANOTHER JUMP IN SPEED

  Road Runner Enhancements Enable Customers to Take Full Advantage of
the Web’s  Increasingly Media-Rich Content at No Additional Cost

  STAMFORD, CT, December 14, 2004 – Time Warner Cable today announced it
  will increase the maximum download speed of its high speed Internet
service  to 5 mega-bits per second (mbps) from 3mbps.  Time Warner
Cable of New  York and New Jersey broadband customers will see the
increase in speed beginning  today.  Customers in the company’s other
markets across the country  will receive the faster speed in January.

  Customers of Road Runner, Time Warner Cable’s flagship high-speed
Internet  service, and customers using other ISPs via the Time Warner
Cable network,  will now enjoy even greater value as this speed
enhancement is being delivered  at no additional cost to consumers.
The download speed of Road Runner’s  premium level of service is also
being enhanced to 8mbps downstream from 6mbps.
---

First of all, I didn't know there was ANY home connection possible in
the 6-8mbps range.  So, the premium service offering is a complete
surprise to me.  Unfortunately out of my price range (somewhere ~$70-99
depending on how much awesome TWC programming you decide to subscribe
to).

Still the increase of "regular" Road Runner connections from 3mbps to
5mbps is impressive.  Have any of you with RR connections noticed a
marked improvement?

Thanks!
dave m.

  --