[TriLUG] Erm... Stupid Kate question

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Jan 20 05:10:00 EST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 09:14 am, Brian Henning wrote:

>    So far, Kate is my favorite Linux-based editor for Java code

While I'm a KDE guy, I use Xemacs or Eclipse for editing Java code.

> is it doesn't remember filters in the file browser window (and according
> to its options, it's supposed to).

I took a quick look.  That's not quite right.  There are two ways to open
files: file->open and "File Selector."  The file->open dialog will always
start off with an "All files" filter.  The File Selector seems to be
accessible as a tab/button on the left of the editing area in Kate 2.3.1/KDE
3.3.1 on Debian sarge.  Clicking that button, I get some sort of quick file
browser, apparently called the File Selector, that slides out from the left
edge of the editor.  (There are two other tools there next to the "Selector":
"Files" and "Projects".  You can detach them if you'd prefer.)

The File Selector does remember the previous filter(s).  :)

Happy hacking,
---Tom