[TriLUG] Cyrus IMAP HowTo

Jeff Groves jgroves at krenim.org
Thu Jan 20 13:11:29 EST 2005

Tanner:

Thanks for the help.  The collection of Perl scripts that I found uses a machination of
various scripts and formail to get the message files into the right format, and then it runs
the reconstruct as you suggested below.

Someone spent a lot of time writing this script and one I got my head around it it finally
worked properly.  I had the message files being dumped in completely the wrong place.  Once I
figure it out is ran really nicely and brought over all of my folders.

If anyone is interested, the scripts that I used came from here:

     http://www.onid.orst.edu/docs/technical/cyrusmigration.shtml

Jeff G.

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Generally, with a closed box system like Cyrus, you shouldn't be copying
> the files directly to the directory their in.  In addition to the
> files themselves,
> Cyrus has indices of everything there.  If those indices aren't there, it won't
> show the files.  Based on that, I'd suggest, if you can, transfering your
> files using imap instead of directly.  I've used a script called "imapsync"
> very successfully to transfer several gigabytes of mail data from a WU-IMAP
> server to a Cyrus server.
>
> If you can't use imap to transfer the files, you might try this.  No guarantees
> that it will work.
>
> Try running "cyradm --user username imap.server.com" (filling in appropriate
> values, of course).  From there, type the command "reconstruct" (I don't
> think you give it any parameters, but check the help just to be sure).  I
> believe that *should* rebuild the indices but if your files aren't correctly
> setup (Cyrus uses MH mail format, *not* Maildir) you may be out of luck.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner
>
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:25:34 -0500 (EST), Jeff Groves
> <jgroves at krenim.org> wrote:
>
>>I just upgraded(?) my Red Hat 7.1 machine to Fedora Core 2, and have been
>>fighting with Cyrus IMAP ever since then.
>>
>>I've worked my way from zilch to being able to log on and see that I have
>>folders but no email in the folders.
>>
>>I found a collection of perl scripts that I attempted to modify to migrate
>>my folders and email from my mail format the pine and Washington IMAP
>>could read to the Cyrus IMAP incarnation.  Unfortunately, I've only gotten
>>to the point where I can get it to create the folder and import the mail
>>messages in to the correct directory, but Cyrus refuses to acknowledge
>>that there are any messages there.
>>
>>If anyone has a HowTo for Cyrus IMAP that is more informative than the
>>pathetic ones that I've found by Googling, I'd appreciate seeing it.
>>
>>This is for my and my wife's personal email usage and I'm not making any
>>money off of this gig... just trying to get out of the dog house for
>>"breaking" the email.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jeff G.
>>
>>========
>>Jeffrey A. Groves      jgroves at krenim.org
>>   Web Site: http://www.krenim.org/
>>
>>--

Law of Procrastination:
         Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has
         the feeling that there is nothing important to do.