[TriLUG] OFF-TOPIC - Snow "Storm"?

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Jan 21 10:02:25 EST 2005

Byarlay, Wayne A. wrote:
> We midwesterners can't help but shake our heads whenever we hear about
> an inch of snow gridlocking an entire city. :) Glad nobody was hurt.

I'm a midwesterner...and this would have gridlocked your city, too.
I grew up driving in Chicago and Indianapolis winters (7 yrs).
Then spent the next 7 years in Cleveland winters.  I've never seen
such slippery streets happen so quickly.  Within an hour of the
first flake, it was pretty bad.  It's the first time I've ever
dropped into 4wd-low for snow/ice.

It was just the right combination of low street temps, ever-so-slightly
wet snow and timing.  The people hit the streets to get home early at
the same time the salt trucks did...so the trucks were stuck along
with everybody else.  And the fact that the streets are very hilly
here doesn't help - unlike many midwest cities (at least, most of
the ones I lived in).

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com