Community Knowledge (was Re: [TriLUG] Fwd: [Centos] in CentOS 3.4, mod_auth_ldap ?)

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 14:35:22 EST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:50:11 -0500, David McDowell
<turnpike420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe... but let me play devil's advocate... wouldn't a wiki allow
> edits of my notes, not just by me?  That frightens me... b/c I'm
> extremely anal about my notes!  :)  I mean, ya, I want to learn more
> and get tips and tricks to add to the stash, but I want it written
> *MY* way.  For me, I can't just remember all this stuff like some
> other TriLUGgers I know *cough*jerempy*cough* for example that have
> steel traps for brains.  I could only wish I had that going for me.
> :)  :)  I think I'm uninformed about all the ins and outs of a wiki as
> well... maybe that might change my view.
>
> Thanks for letting me poke at ya Jeremy, you are one smart cookie.

As people have said, you can protect it in various ways, and it does
keep a history of changes so you can revert back if you need to.

The thing I like about it, though, is that, say I don't know everything
about something (shocking, but it's true. ;-), I can ask other people
questions about it, and if they know the answers, they can help
update the document directly themselves.

For instance, one thing I'm currently working on is located at

https://wayfarer.org/wiki/index.php/Dpkg_For_RPM_Users

Eventually, I hope it will become a complete reference of Debian's
dpkg for people who are familiar with rpm.  Since I don't know
dpkg (otherwise I wouldn't be looking for this reference!), I can't
write that part of it very well.  I do know rpm, however, so I can
come up with the rpm commands I'm curious about.  I can then
get other people who know Debian (hint, hint! ;-) to go and fill in
the appropriate debian commands that correspond to my rpm
commands.  The document, then, becomes a collaborative work.

Cheers,
Tanner
P.S. BTW, if you do know Debian, please feel free to go
create an account on my wiki and add in the portions that
are missing or need corrections.  Also, if you know RPM
and can add more rpm stuff, please feel free to do the same.

--
Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com