[TriLUG] Debian Woody MTA/IMAP recommendations?

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Jan 22 16:55:10 EST 2005

Hi, all.  I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations from everyone concerning
some changes I'd like to make at home.

As you can see, I have an address at python.net.  For years, I've configured
that e-mail address to forward to whatever ISP-provided mailbox I have.  Then
I use KMail and POP to get my mail into local folders.  I recently started
switching to Debian, and I have an old machine running Debian Woody at home.
Since I'm sometimes on my laptop and sometimes on a workstation, I'd prefer
to move all of my mail to the "little"  Debian Woody machine and just access
it via IMAP.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what to install/configure on the Debian Woody
box.  While I'm a long time Linux user, I've never messed with mail servers,
so when I hear MTA, I'm not even sure exactly what role that plays on a mail
server.  I'd prefer not to have to mess with it too much at the moment.  I'm
thinking that all I need is fetchmail -> procmail / SpamAssassin -> ??? ->
served up by ??? IMAP server.

Does this configuration sound sane?

Any recommendations on what IMAP server to run on Debian Woody?  I only want
to serve connections to the IMAP server inside my firewall, so I probably
won't worry about encrypting the IMAP connection at the moment.

Any pointers to some good, brief docs/books about mail servers in general?  I
also have an O'Reilly Safari account, so I'd be happy to fill a slot with a
book that has a clear few chapters explaining some of this stuff.

---Tom