[TriLUG] Debian Woody MTA/IMAP recommendations?

David Rasch rasch at raschnet.com
Sat Jan 22 16:57:55 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 04:55:10PM -0500, Tom Bryan <tbryan at python.net> wrote:

> Any recommendations on what IMAP server to run on Debian Woody?  I only want
> to serve connections to the IMAP server inside my firewall, so I probably
> won't worry about encrypting the IMAP connection at the moment.
>
> Any pointers to some good, brief docs/books about mail servers in general?  I
> also have an O'Reilly Safari account, so I'd be happy to fill a slot with a
> book that has a clear few chapters explaining some of this stuff.

If you want to use only packages in Debian Woody proper, I can recommend
the "courier-imap" package.  I use it to do virtual hosting for a number
of clients very successfully.

If you're willing to use some backports (new software packaged to be
compatible with Debian Woody), then i'd recommend "dovecot" available at
http://www.backports.org

Best of luck,
David