[TriLUG] Resizing partition with ext3 file system

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 11:40:21 EST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:14:58 -0500, Jason Tower <jason at cerient.net> wrote:
> i just resized a ext3 filesystem yesterday (grew a LVM logical volume)
> using resize2fs.  you'll have to umount it first and run fsck -f.  no
> converting from ext3 to 2 or vice versa should be necessary.
>
> jason

Thanks Jason. So just to make sure that my feeble little mind is
getting this, here are the steps I think I need to take:

1. take proper steps to temporarily stop further backups, just in case
I can't get all this done before the next backup is scheduled (every 4
hours).
2. unmount the snapshot device (both the r/w mounting to
/root/snapshot for root only access, and the r/o nfs mount to
/snapshot for others).
3. run fdisk and delete the partition and recreate it at the same
first cylinder but larger.  I understand that this WILL leave the
existing data in place.
4. execute (sudo?) resize2fs /dev/hdc2
5. execute (sudo?) fsck -f  /dev/hdc2
6. remount /root/snapshot and /snapshot