[TriLUG] Mailman messages to -owner and -admin being treated as bounces in version 2.1.5

Jeff Groves jgroves at krenim.org
Sun Jan 23 21:24:53 EST 2005

I recently, unexpectedly and, painfully upgraded my Mailman from version 1.0.13 (I think..
can't remember for sure) to version 2.1.5 when I upgraded Red Hat 7.1 to Fedora Core 2.

I have got all of the quirks worked out except now all messages to the -owner and -admin
accounts now are all treated as bounce messages.  Is this by design (I've seen some reference
to the -admin addresses being deprecate) or did I break something?

Here is an example of the type of entries that I have in my /etc/mail/aliases file for each
of my listservs that I administer:

## reunion mailing list
reunion:              "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman post reunion"
reunion-admin:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman admin reunion"
reunion-bounces:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman bounces reunion"
reunion-confirm:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman confirm reunion"
reunion-join:         "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman join reunion"
reunion-leave:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman leave reunion"
reunion-owner:        "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman owner reunion"
reunion-request:      "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman request reunion"
reunion-subscribe:    "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe reunion"
reunion-unsubscribe:  "|/var/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe reunion"

Most notably, the messages that are generated to tell me when I need to moderate the listserv
are they themselves treated as bounced messages and are handled by the default mailman
listserv bounce handler.

This upgrade from Red Hat 7.1 to Fedora Core 2 has been an adventure.  Glad that I took it,
but I'm sure that I've a few more gray hairs as a result.

Jeff G.