[TriLUG] OT: SSL Certificate Vendor

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 15:30:13 EST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:22:52 -0500, Jeff Groves <jgroves at krenim.org> wrote:
> This is the primary reason that I'm considering going with a certificate
> from a recognized provider:
>
> I see quite a number of SMTP servers out there that attempt to create a
> secure inbound connection with my Sendmail SMTP server, but do not
> because (I assume) I have a self-signed certificate.

More likely it is because the hostname in the cert doesn't match up
with the hostname connected to.  I've got self signed certs (well
signed by my own certificate autority), and I have many SMTP TLS
connections in my logs.  I know that LDAPS will fail if the hostnames
don't match, but will complete successfully if they do match,
regardless of what type of certificate it is.

--
Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com