[TriLUG] Interested in SATA HD Timings

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 1 16:46:20 EST 2005

Hi Folks,

While I realize that hdparm -t is not a perfect test of hard drive
performance, I'm interested in seeing what people are getting for SATA
drives as compared to other IDE and SCSI drives.

I'm currently using an IDE Ultra ATA/100 7500 RPM hard drive, and two
SCSI Ultra 160 10,000 RPM drives on an Athlon XP 2100 system at home.
hdparm -t reports about 40 MB/s on the IDE, and about 80 MB/s on the
SCSI drives.

I realize that a faster machine will get faster read times.  I tried
timing a nearly identical ATA/100 drive on a Xeon 2.2 GHz system, and it
reported 50 MB/s.  This machine also had an  older IDE Ultra ATA/66 5400
RPM drive, and it reported 20 MB/s.

So, given that these comparisons are imperfect, would anyone be willing
to share what timings their SATA drives are reporting?  If you have a
substantially faster or slower processor than those I've listed, it
would be useful to know.

Before I get a half dozen replies mentioning Tom's Hardware, yes, I plan
to read their site (among others) before shelling out for new drives.  I
find other users' experiences to be at least as valuable though.

Thanks,

--
Scott C.