[TriLUG] Kernel Panics.......

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed Feb 2 11:10:08 EST 2005

aaron wrote:
 > ....  A better question might
> be, has anyone seen this problem associated with a particular software
> problem, and if *not*, then look towards the hardware.  Personally, I'd
> say it sounds like a locking issue in the kernel - which unless you're
> using a poorly-compiled kernel, or have made some odd modifications,
> then it's very likely it's a hardware problem.

Yes.  That.  Please consider the question appropriately revised. :-)
It's a kernel from an RPM..  no custom compile on this one.

>> ...Oh yes, here are the system stats:
>> CPU: P-III 850MHz

Oops, correction:  Athlon 850, not P-III.  But it's a Slot-1 nonetheless.

> Have you checked for bad capacitors on the motherboard?  They'll appear
> as bulging tops, perhaps leaking a brown or black caustic-looking
> solution (the electrolytic material).  That board is about the right
> age, and from the time period when lots of manufacturers were using a
> bad batch of caps from a manufacturer in Taiwan.  I'd wager a small sum
> of coins that will turn out to be your problem.

Where would you like to deliver said small sum of coins?  Heh..  I
didn't notice any visible capacitor problems (although caps can
certainly have problems that aren't manifest in any visible form).

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Cheers,
~Brian