[TriLUG] Debian box Just stops.

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Thu Feb 3 07:27:29 EST 2005

I've got a Debian box I'm using to test/demo/tempt people at work with some
nifty features, and they're loving it.

Until this morning.

When, at 5 am, my pager goes off.  (And since I'd only just gotten "The
Screaming Maw of Want/Need" to get back to sleep, she woke up too.)

The box had gone down, and even though it's just a test, they want it back up
enough to pay me to come in early.

Came in, and no panic, no errors, no nothing, just a completely non-responsive
computer.  Rebooted and took a look around.  Logs are ticking normally along
one minute, then the next entry is from the reboot.  After the reboot, all is
ticking along famously again.

I'm not looking for a specific answer to what the problem is, what I would
like is where to look for any ideas of what went wrong.

(It's a box with Shorewall firewall, bind9, postfix, mailscanner, clamav,
spamassassin, webmin and a kitchen sink.  It's got ~400MB RAM, and 2 10GB HD
in a software raid config.  all with a AMDk6/500 processor.)

CJK

PS: TSMW/N is *not* a nickname for my wife.  It's what we've taken to calling
the daughter after more than 1 hour of fussiness in the wee hours of the
morning.