[TriLUG] Debian box Just stops.

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Feb 3 07:31:01 EST 2005

Chris Knowles wrote:

>...I'm not looking for a specific answer to what the problem is, what I would
>like is where to look for any ideas of what went wrong.
>
>(It's a box with Shorewall firewall, bind9, postfix, mailscanner, clamav,
>spamassassin, webmin and a kitchen sink.  It's got ~400MB RAM, and 2 10GB HD
>in a software raid config.  all with a AMDk6/500 processor.)

Sounds like hardware.  Check the caps, run memtest, if it's not on a
UPS, perhaps consider the power supply.  If you have a way to know if
there was a brownout at that time period (ala other UPSes that do
reporting via apcupsd or some-such), power supply might be a suspect.

Other than that, if you can't reliably make it fail, it's of course
difficult to troubleshoot.  :(

Aaron S. Joyner