[TriLUG] Debian box Just stops.

Sam Kalat sam.kalat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 11:21:20 EST 2005

I recently had a machine lock up repeatedly, also without any
indication why in the logs.  It was dual-boot and was more flaky in
XP.  I ran memtest as well and it would freeze during memtest, and I
wasn't sure whether that meant something was dreadfully wrong with the
memory.

After some memory swapping and lots of tinkering I discovered that the
memory was fine.  I have discovered bad memory with memtest and it
really shouldn't freeze up when doing so.

In my case it turned out to be something I'd never seen before...
there was a small power adapter that wasn't even attached to anything,
that was somehow causing an intermittent short, or I dunno.  Removed
it for some other reason, and then the computer has run flawlessly for
months.  I doubt the same exact problem is at fault here, but I'd say
not to blame the memory out of hand, it is probably more basic.

Sam