[TriLUG] OT (but with nerd question): City Manager's report on "The Event"

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Fri Feb 4 14:11:10 EST 2005

David McDowell wrote:

>Think back just a couple weeks... unexpected snow flurry which shut
>this place down... many of you remember... b/c you were either stuck
>in traffic, slept at work, or had kids you had to find, pick up, or
>have them sleep at school.  If you weren't caught somehow, you just
>got lucky.  There's 1000 kids on average, if not more, at every public
>school in Wake Co.  Now count how many schools there are... I can't...
>now count mother's AND father's trying to call at the same time b/c
>they can't get in touch with each other to figure out who will handle
>the kids and who will try to get home.
>
>That's a lot of freakin phone calls!!  :)

Yeah, but 174 T1s or 6 DS3s is an awful lot to expect a local school
system to maintain for one or two events per year.  Presumably, if that
number is correct, that does not reflect concurrent call capacity, or
it's not something they maintain themselves, they'd have to outsource
that to another provider.  I just can't see Wake County employing a team
of a few administrators to be responsible for just *the phone system*.

Aaron S. Joyner