[TriLUG] Need recommendation on very lightweight web server

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue Feb 8 14:47:02 EST 2005

On Tue, February 8, 2005 2:00 pm, Matt Frye said:
> I am building a web-based application for *nix boxes and need
> something more streamlined than apache to simplify roll-out.
> Suggestions?
> --

Let me start by saying I have only used Apache on *nix boxen.  That
being said:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=web+server&stype=text

I would figure any web server listed here will also run on linux as
well.  Also as an oddity, I searched sourceforge for "www server",
http server", "web server" and "httpd server" and got no hits.  I
would have expected at least someone with a web server has it on
sourceforge.

I have heard good things about boa, but never used it.  Also boa
doesn't fork processes.  One of the downsides to streamlining is loss
of features.    Cherokee might be worth looking at because it's list
of dependencies is small.  There's also Hydra, which I have also heard
of but never used.

Sorry I couldn't offer something of more sustenance, as you were
looking for a recommendation of something people have used with
success.

Out of curiosity what is it about apache that you don't like?  It's
pretty straightforward and most &nix admins have used it.

Matt