[TriLUG] dircmp availability

Bob Michael rmichael2 at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 9 16:59:51 EST 2005

    In all Unix system 5 versions (AT&T, SunOS, Solaris, at least)
there is a command "dircmp" which compares directories, including
subdirectories.  Is there anything similar in any Linux version?
    I tried porting the Solaris one (it is a shell), but it does not
fully work.  It detects missing files OK, but fails to compare
files that are in both.  I suspect that the "ls -l" listing is different
and the shell does not parse it correctly.
    But surely, there must be something in Linux.  Even WinDoz 98
has WINDIFF in the Resource Kit.

Bob Michael