[TriLUG] RCS

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 10:47:56 EST 2005

Yes, because with rcs you're supposed to check things out before modifying them.
Changing them to read only is it's way of "enforcing" this.

If you don't want to have to check them out beforehand, look into cvs
or subversion.
CVS uses the same file format as rcs, but is built around the concept
of "lazy locking".  It doesn't lock until the last possible minute, but you do
have to update from the repository before committing (which shouldn't
be a problem if you're the only user).  Subversion is a follow on to CVS that
has been completely redesigned from the ground up to offer all the features
CVS does, but fix the most obvious bugs (i.e. directory versioning, atomic
commits, the ability to rename files, etc..).  Both are quite stable.

Cheers,
Tanner