[TriLUG] SCSI vs. SATA in theory

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 10 14:32:57 EST 2005

Do mean time between failure rates between SCSI and SATA differ greatly
in the field?  Most IDE drives seem to live 3-5 years under moderate
use and I'm fairly certain that SCSI can go much further then that, but
what about SATA?  I have to spec out my home server that I want to
build once the wife's bonus arrives and I'm thinking about drives.  I
have lots of OLD data that I could probably part with (old laptop files
from companies I no longer work for, etc) but I don't want to - you
never know when those five year old Lucent files might come in handy!
:)

I've been looking towards SATA for the large-volume storage and
thinking about SCSI for my heavily used partitions (web, database,
tmp).

Does adding a SCSI drive just for high duty-cycle partitions rally
matter?  Can I get away with just having everything on one, big SATA
drive?  I normally only get  one chance over five years to build a
really nice server, so I want to get this right.

Greg