[TriLUG] SCSI vs. SATA in theory

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Thu Feb 10 14:44:10 EST 2005

sata drives are not substantially different from traditional ide drives,
they just have a different controller and interface.  the only
exception that i know of are the wd raptors which are aimed at the
enterprise market and cost about the same as scsi.

therefore, if reliability is truly a concern and you want to do the job
right, then you really only have one option - scsi.  and since that
isn't 100% foolproof, you still need backup of some sort.  use sata/ide
for that purpose - dense, cheap, and if it fails you haven't lost
anything.  but if reliability is the goal, stick with scsi.

jason