[TriLUG] Opera Print Zooming Issue

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Fri Feb 11 14:49:43 EST 2005

Hi Folks,
   I'm one of those people who, when possible, much prefers to read
stuff on paper rather than on monitors.  This of course means I love to
print stuff out.  The problem is when I am printing to a Windows-hosted
LJet 4 (running Unix Printing Services) fro Opera on my Debian Sarge
machine.  With the print zoom (not the browser zoom...the zoom set in
printing options) set at 100%, most pages end up printing about 25%
larger than needed and end up being chopped off at the page's edges.
80% zoom seems to be perfect, and shows in the print preview as just
what I want to see in terms of layout, with the content fitting the page
quite nicely...  But when I actually send the job to the printer, it
looks as if the page is getting zoomed twice.  The printout fills 80% of
the page, as if the image of the page were being zoomed out to 80%
(again) before being laid down on the paper.  (So for those of you
following the math, the actual printed material ends up being 64% of the
original size)

Unfortunately I'm having a hard time describing this very well.
Hopefully someone will be able to follow my rambling here and maybe
either identify that as a bug, or tell me how to go about fixing it..

Thanks!
~Brian