[TriLUG] OT looking for Gimp book recommendation

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sat Feb 12 12:09:41 EST 2005

I recall having many of the same frustrations when I first started trying
to use Gimp.  Documentation wasn't particularly good then, and as far as I
know hasn't gotten any better.

What I ended up doing was playing around with it to see what it did.  I
know that isn't very helpful, so let me try to provide some hints based on
what my 2.0 Gimp installation does (for the record I really want to go
back to 1.x, for various frustration reasons, mostly having to do with
zoom in/out).

When you first start up Gimp, you will probably see 3 windows.  One will
have a bunch of buttons, a foreground/background color picker, and a
brush/pattern/gradient picker.  Another will have various tool options
(default is for rectangular select).  The third will be a layer window.

The tool options and layer windows will be context sensitive to your
current canvas window, which I presume you have at least a little
experience with on your raw plugin converter.  Soooo...open a canvas
window by doing File|New.  When the dialog comes up, set the width/height
as desired.  Leave image type as RGB (unless you like drawing in
greyscale...I don't).  For Fill Type, select "Transparent".  Set the image
comment if you like, then hit OK.

You now have a transparent canvas window.  If you do <shift>+<number
row plus> (don't use keypad plus), you can zoom in.  If you do
<number row minus>, it will zoom out.  (Aside:  in gimp 1.x, you didn't
have to <shift> the <plus>.  Having to do so is a major pain in the back
side, not to mention completely opposite of what it used to be).

If you right click inside the window, you will observe a number of context
menus, which correspond to the menus at the top of the canvas window (I
assume they added the window menus for people who couldn't figure out the
context menus....).

Now then, the menus that you're probably interested in are Image, Layer,
and Filters.  Image|Mode gives you the option of RGB/Indexed/Greyscale.
Image|Merge Visible Layers allows you to merge your image (<CTRL>+<M>).

Layer|New Layer allows you to create a blank layer with fill type (e.g.,
colorized or transparent) and size.  Layer|Duplicate Layer makes a copy of
the current layer.  Layer|Delete Layer removes the current layer.

Remember, too, that <CTRL>+<Z> will perform several iterations of undo.

Layer|Colors provides Color Brightness/Saturation/Contrast/etc.

Filters gives you access to things like Gaussian blur, motion blur,
tileable blur, bump mapping, etc.  I suggest you play around with the
various options.  I can provide some specific assistance on those items if
you like as I have become quite adept :)

Hopefully that's a good get-started primer.  You can see some of what I'm
capable of at http://free.house.cx/~william/bg-smithing.shtml (also what
Gimp itself can do, and I'm still not a Gimp expert).

William