[TriLUG] Odd Network problem

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Sun Feb 13 01:06:44 EST 2005

Got a weird one.

(Oh, regarding that crashing box, further investigation pointed at the
motherboard as a culprit.)

I've got a Nagios server in place that's been happily warning us of doom and
gloom for over a year.  It's one of the great success stories for Linux at
our company.

Until now.

Starting this morning, it has been randomly unable to ping various boxes on
our network.  That is, until you ping the nagios server from the "unpingable"
server.   Then Nagios can ping that server all it wants.

This is all local network, no routing involved.

Any idears as to what could be causing this?  (This is a simple switched
network, and other than this seems to be working fine.)

Any help is appreciated.

CJK